Israel threatens annexation after
ground invasion in north, south Gaza
Israeli forces intensify ground operations in northern and southern Gaza as Defense Minister Katz warns of seizing territory if all captives not released.
The Israeli military assault on the Gaza Strip has continued for a fourth day as its ground forces invaded northern and southern Gaza and the Israeli defence minister threatened to seize land in the coastal enclave.
Defense Minister Israel Katz said on Friday that his country would “intensify” its military campaign against Hamas and use “all military and civilian pressure, including evacuation of the Gaza population south and implementing United States President Trump’s voluntary migration plan for Gaza residents”.
Recommended Stories
. Israeli forces resume Gaza ground assault, seize part of Netzarim Corridor
. Is US support for Israel complicating efforts to reach peace in Gaza?
. Israel expands Gaza ground assault as bombardment kills at least 91 people
Katz instructed the army “to seize additional areas in Gaza, evacuate the population, and expand security zones around Gaza to protect Israeli communities and [Israeli army] soldiers,” local media quoted him as saying.
He also warned that Israel would seize Gaza land until the Gaza-based armed group agrees to release all captives still held in the Strip.
“The more Hamas persists in its refusal to release the hostages, the more territory it will lose, which will be annexed to Israel,” Katz was quoted by The Jerusalem Post newspaper as saying.
“If the hostages are not released, Israel will continue to take more and more territory in the Strip for permanent control.”
The development comes after Israeli troops invaded the Shaboura area of Rafah, Gaza’s southernmost city near the Egyptian border, and Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza, late on Thursday.
Earlier this week, Israel said it had closed off the territory’s main north-south route as part of its expanding ground operations.
Al Jazeera’s Hind Khoudary, reporting from central Gaza, said according to residents in Beit Lahiya and Rafah, Israeli forces did not give any prior warnings of their activities.
“They did not throw leaflets or drop any warnings asking people to evacuate those areas. Suddenly, Palestinians found endless air strikes and artillery shelling attacking them,” she said.
The ground operations come as Israel broke the nearly two-month ceasefire in Gaza on Tuesday, killing more than 590 Palestinians, including some 200 children, the Gaza Ministry of Health has said.
Elsewhere, Al Jazeera reporters said Gaza City’s Zeitoun neighbourhood in the north has come under “heavy” attack from Israeli aircraft on Friday.
Air attacks have also been reported in Khuza’a and Abasan, east of the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis.
Lack of aid, hospitals ‘overwhelmed’
UNRWA, the United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, said the situation in Gaza is gravely concerning amid huge reductions in distribution of aid supplies.
0 Comments