Pakistani and Afghan forces clash at
vital border crossing
Afghanistan says one member of its security forces is killed and two injured in overnight clashes at Torkham crossing.
At least one person has been killed as Pakistani and Afghan security forces have traded fire at the recently closed main border crossing between the two countries.
Afghanistan’s Ministry of Interior Affairs confirmed on Monday that one member of its security forces had been killed and two injured in the overnight clashes at the Torkham crossing, a vital transit point that Pakistan closed last month after disputing its neighbour’s construction of a new border post.
Recommended Stories
. Blast at Taliban-linked Pakistani seminary kills six people, injures 20
. Afghan embassy says nationals face arrests, expulsions in Pakistan capital
. ‘Please don’t do this’: Afghan families in Pakistan caught in crackdown
. As Pakistan, Afghanistan attack each other, what’s next for neighbours?
Two Pakistani security officials speaking on condition of anonymity told the news agency Reuters that members of their security forces had been wounded in the clashes.
The conflict erupted on the first working day of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan when food imports from Pakistan usually peak in Afghanistan. The fighting stranded about 5,000 trucks filled with essential goods on both sides of the border in harsh winter conditions.
The conflict could exacerbate the challenges confronting the crisis-hit Afghan economy at a time when millions of people are at risk of hunger and about half the population needs humanitarian assistance to survive, according to the read more
0 Comments